Frequently Asked Questions
Why should we choose the Laughton Team?
We are experts in Phoenix, Arizona homes for sale including Peoria, Glendale, Goodyear, Surprise and Avondale. Our experience and knowledge comes from having negotiated thousands of real estate transactions. Did you know that the average agent closes approximately 8 transactions per year? The Laughton Team has averaged over 200 homes sold per year for the last 6 years! We use our masterful negotiation skills to ensure every client gets the best deal possible and the most money in the shortest amount of time. Your complete satisfaction is our number one priority.
What is your process for selling my home?
Our complete seller process includes:
- Helping you determine the best asking price
- Offer proven advice on how to prepare your property for showings
- Call you regularly and also provide you with a customer service Web page to keep you fully informed of everything we do to sell your home
- Install an electronic lockbox at your property so all viewings can be tracked for feedback and security
- Provide feedback from all showings and open houses
- Update you on money market changes that could affect the sale of your property
- Pre-qualify motivated buyers
- Present and discuss each offer with you, assisted by our Seller Net sheet
- Negotiate the highest possible price and best terms for you
- Manage all contractual, title and transaction details and keep you completely informed
- Ensure your check is delivered promptly at closing
- Arrange for a moving company and/or relocation agent if needed
What is your marketing strategy for selling my home?
Our strategy for getting your property sold at top market value is a simple but effective one: We’ll maximize its market exposure so you attract as many qualified, motivated buyers as possible. We’ll also keep you fully informed of all our activities and any developments related to the listing.
For reference, here are the specific actions we’ll take to maximize your market exposure:
- Electronically submit the listing information to the Multiple Listing Service (MLS) for exposure to over 12,000 active real estate agents
- Capture wide angle photographs of your home taken by a Professional Photographer
- Retouch photos for esthetic enhancement
- Feature your property here on our website as well as REALTOR.com
- Syndicate your listing to dozens of sites including Zillow, Trulia, Yahoo, Google Base & many more
- Provide a link to share the listing on Facebook for increased referral exposure
- Create a single property website with a semi-custom domain name for increased organic exposure on search engines
- Create a virtual tour slide show and MLS compliant link to help entice buyers with visuals and details
- Send “Just Listed” cards to over 1,300 partners, neighbors and affiliates in our database
- Promote your property to all the top Realtors in your area
- Send direct email notices to all licensed agents in Arizona
- Send Home Highlight sheets to the many buzzing agents in our Re/Max office
- Notify all potential buyers in our database of your listing
- Create a QR Code for marketing materials that can be scanned with a cell phone, taking the potential buyer directly to your property website
- Provide open houses at seller’s request
- Maximize showing potential through professional RE/MAX signage, one of the most recognizable real estate companies in the world
If we list with you, will my home be on numerous websites?
Yes. Part of our proven marketing strategy is maximizing Web exposure. Your home will be featured on dozens of websites including MyPhoenixHomeSearch.com, RE/MAX.com, Realtor.com, Zillow and Trulia. According to the National Association of Realtors, over 90% of home buyers begin the home search process on the internet.
Will you take high quality photos of our home?
Every single one of our full service listings has pictures taken by a professional photographer. Many agents and sellers fail to realize how important high quality marketing photos are to obtaining the highest offer possible. Our team knows what sells and we help instruct our clients on lighting, placement of décor and curb appeal.
How do you determine the price of our home?
We will meet with you to review a complete market analysis of your home, evaluate supply and demand for the area, and examine the property condition. At that point, we can guide you to the best range of pricing.
If I find the buyer for my home do I still pay you a commission?
No way! If you find a buyer for your home without our assistance, there is no commission due as long as that buyer is not an agent or working with an agent. With most other agents, if you have your home listed with them and find your own buyer, you still owe them the full commission. That doesn’t seem very fair to us. Of course, if you still want our assistance we are willing to help w/ contracts and various details at a reduced commission.
I don’t have the money to fix up my home. Can you still sell it?
We can and have sold many properties without the seller completing needed repairs. Although keep in mind that this strategy may not net you the highest offer possible.
I had a short sale/foreclosure. When can I purchase again?
The guidelines for purchasing after a short sale or foreclosure are constantly changing. There are some private banks who will approve a loan the after a short sale has been completed, providing the buyer qualifies. The interest rates for a loan of this nature tend to be higher than the market rate. At the moment, the standard mortgage guidelines are as follows:
- Buying after a foreclosure – 7 years for Fannie Mae loans, 3 years for FHA loans, and 2 years for VA loans.
- Buying after a short sale – 7 years for Fannie Mae loans (some exceptions), 3 years for FHA, and 2 years for VA loans.
Should I get pre-approved for a mortgage?
Yes. We recommend that all of our clients be prequalified for a mortgage prior to starting their home search. We work hand-in-hand with mortgage professionals that can assist you in qualifying for a loan.
Be aware that even if you have been pre-approved, your loan can fall through at the last minute if you do something to alter your credit score, like finance a new car. We advise our clients to “go dark” during the escrow period of a purchase. Don’t make any significant purchases or large unusual deposits into your bank accounts.
How do I know what price range I can afford?
As we’ve all learned from the subprime mortgage mess, what the bank says you can afford and what you know you can afford or are comfortable with paying are not necessarily the same. If you don’t already have a budget, make a list of all your monthly expenses (excluding rent), including vehicle costs, student loan payments, credit card payments, groceries, health insurance, retirement savings and so on. Don’t forget major expenses that only occur once a year, like any insurance premiums you pay annually or annual vacations. Subtract this total from your take-home pay and you’ll know how much you can spend on your new home each month.
If you end up looking at homes that are outside your price range, you’ll end up lusting after something you can’t afford, which can put you in the dangerous position of trying to stretch beyond your means financially or cause you to feel unsatisfied with what you actually can afford. You may even learn that you can’t afford the type or size of home that you desire and that you need to work on reducing your monthly expenses and/or increasing your income before you even start looking.
The Laughton Team believes in and coaches financial peace. We are honored to have earned Dave Ramsey’s endorsement as local real estate agents of choice. Dave Ramsey is the author of The Total Money Makeover and internationally known for helping millions of families achieve financial freedom.